Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fear of the dark


It’s a starless night. It doesn’t matter. The windows are shut and the blinds are drawn.
I’ve locked the world out and yet they bother me.
I lie in bed reading, hoping to fall asleep. These things don’t come easy anymore.
It’s cold, but I can’t do without the fan clamoring in the background.
It blocks every other noise out. It’s a familiar calming sound, almost like a lullaby.
Weighed down by a room full of emptiness, loneliness closes in on me.
I shut my eyes. It’s really dark in here.
Artlessly, demons of the past descend upon me whispering, “Our time has come”.
They seep into the depth of my soul. They know their way around.
Had somebody pledged my soul a long time ago?
“Did you really think I’d go away without knowing every part of you?” they sneer.
I cry in my sleep. Can you hear me?
My helpless hands grope for you, only to find vacant spaces.
I want to wake up but I’m trapped in my own dreams.
They’ve take over my mind. I’m a captive in this vicious cycle.
I feel violated but I know there can’t be another way out.
There will probably be another day. Dawn is only a few hours away.
There is no trace of struggle. Tears are traitors. They only scar in places you can never see.
At the break of dawn,the relief of sunshine brings inspiration.
Inspiration to face up to a new day and put up that façade again.
There is only one way this will end.
Someday we will say goodbye to each other. ---------------------------------------------- Dedicated in loving memory of Rach,Sheen and Seem. You may have left us too soon but you forever live in our memories.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eerie, creepy and WOW!
-Ananya

Sreelatha Ramakrishnan said...

nice read...but i hope its not true..i mean do u actually go thru that everyday??!!!

arvindiyer said...

NOW WE'RE TALKING:) Oh yes. Bring it on.

Pink-Spotted Scrunch. said...

Thanks A&A!
Sheelu, they are just random thoughts..I wouldnt say that there is no truth in it though...a friend of mine passed away recently and its been difficult but life goes on!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that Ash...But, u have got to get over it. Besides, light always follows darkness :) isnt it?

Meena Venkataraman said...

Fantastic... Beautifully Written!